Southall explosion: Three in hospital as gas blast rips through flat destroying front
HomeHome > News > Southall explosion: Three in hospital as gas blast rips through flat destroying front

Southall explosion: Three in hospital as gas blast rips through flat destroying front

Jul 21, 2023

Emergency services scrambled to the scene in Southall, west London, where the entire first floor and roof of a building was blown to pieces in a suspected gas explosion

Two men and a woman have been rushed to hospital after their street was rocked by a huge explosion.

The suspected gas blast blew out the front of a top floor flat above a chicken shop, sending glass and wood flying onto the road.

A fire erupted in the aftermath of the incident which took place just before 1.30pm on Sunday in Southall, west London.

Devastating images show the roof completely destroyed with bricks and rubble scattered across the pavement below.

The condition of the three injured people is not yet known and others are being treated by paramedics at the scene.

Neighbouring homes and shops were evacuated as a precaution by the London Fire Brigade and Met Police.

While the main road remains blocked in both directions, with buses on diversion, reports My London.

Around 40 firefighters and six fire engines raced to the scene from Southall and Feltham in a bid to secure the building.

The Brigade said the first floor and roof of the two-storey building "suffered significant structural damage" before the fire erupted following the blast.

Officers were called to reports of "a suspected gas explosion" at 1.27pm and emergency services remain at the scene.

A spokesperson for the force added: "Road closures are in place and people are advised to avoid the area at this time."

Station Commander Simon Horn, who was at the scene, said: "Crews were joined by our Urban Search and Rescue team using specialist equipment to carry out a systematic search of the property.

"They were able to confirm that everyone has been accounted for.

"Initial crews worked quickly in a challenging situation to extinguish the fire. Although the fire has now been extinguished, a cordon of around 50 metres will remain in place and people are asked to avoid the area."

The Brigade's 999 Control Officers received eight calls about the incident.

Officials said the cause of the incident is currently under investigation.

An LFB spokesperson said: "The first floor and roof of a two-storey building with a shop and flats above has suffered significant structural damage as a result of the building partially collapsing.

"Part of the first floor and roof was damaged by a fire which occurred following the explosion.

"Two men and a woman left the building before firefighters arrived.

"They have been taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

"There were no reports of any other injuries. Neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution."

Get email updates with the day's biggest stories